We Will Rock You – the Monster Hit Musical!
Opening at the Dominion Theatre, London on 14th May 2002 an amazing 11 million people have now booked We Will Rock You tickets around the world!
Based on the music of the legendary rock group Queen and with a script by comedian Ben Elton, We Will Rock You is one of the most popular musicals in London’s West End.
Here are some fascinating We Will Rock You facts from the incredible show that is now well into its ninth-year on the London stage.
- Officially, We Will Rock You has become the longest-running musical at the Dominion Theatre and the ninth longest running show in the history of London’s West End.
- We Will Rock You continues to extend its run and has performed well over 3000 performances in the UK alone. That’s 3000 standing ovations as well!
- An astonishing 620,000 We Will Rock You tickets are sold every year with 4,600,000 tickets sold in London alone and an astonishing 11,000,000 We Will Rock You tickets sold worldwide.
- We Will Rock You at the Dominion has gained a clutch of top theatre awards including Theatregoers’ Choice Awards in 2003 for Best New Musical, Best Actor in a Musical (Tony Vincent), Best Actress in a Musical (Hannah Jane Fox), Best Supporting Actress in a Musical (Sharon D Clarke), and Best Director for Christopher Renshaw, Capital Gold Radio ‘Legends’ Awards also in 2003 for Best Live Performance of the Year.
- In 2010, the Queen musical was also nominated at the Laurence Olivier Awards for the Audience Award for Most Popular London Show.
- The 61-year old grandmother who was buying a ticket to treat her 4-year-old great grandson to see the show back in October 2006 got a big surprise when she was told she was the 1 millionth customer to book tickets for We Will Rock You. This is testament to the wide ranging audience the musical attracts.
- We Will Rock You has not only been staged in London, but the success of the musical has been replicated with productions of the musical in Austria, Germany, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Japan, Las Vegas, Toronto, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok!
- Recent estimates put the total number of people watching We Will Rock You on stage at 11 million people.
- Some of the famous celebrities who have booked We Will Rock You tickets include: Princess Anne, Bryan Adams, Boy George, Richard Branson, Michael Caine, Richard Curtis, Judi Dench, Robert De Niro, Neil Diamond, Sheila Ferguson, Sarah Ferguson, Foo Fighters, Dawn French, Sir Bob Geldof, Iron Maiden, Anthony Kiedis, Beyoncé Knowles, Matt Lucas, Lulu, Davina McCall, Elle McPherson, Ricky Martin, Liza Minnelli, Demi Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, Donny Osmond, Elaine Paige, Jimmy Page, Michael Parkinson, Pink, Priscilla Presley, Sean Penn, Sir Timothy Rice, Susan Sarandon, Jennifer Saunders, Shilpa Shetty, Maria Shriver, Britney Spears, David Tennant, Emma Thompson, Tina Turner, David Walliams, Victoria Wood and Robbie Williams.