10 Things You Didn't Know About Once
One of the best, and most original, shows in London’s West End right now is Once at the Phoenix Theatre. A love story with a difference, featuring a company of talented musicians and beautiful, haunting songs, this show is a must-see for anyone visiting London. It’s currently starring Boyzone’s Ronan Keating, to rave reviews, and I’ve just booked my third trip to see it before it closes in a few weeks.
Here are 10 things you might not know about Once…
1. The show is based on a 2007 movie set in Dublin. It cost only $150,000 to make and was shot in just 17 days.
2. "Falling Slowly" won the Oscar for Best Original Song in 2008.
3. In the film, you never know what Girl says on the clifftop when Guy asks, ‘Do you love him?’ I can’t decide if it’s better to know or not.
4. The original Girl on Broadway, Cristin Milioti, went on to play The Mother in How I Met Your Mother.
5. The musicians who wrote the music, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, also starred in the movie. They also dated for two years, and toured together as The Swell Season until 2011.
6. Before Ronan Keating, the London cast has had three Guys - Declan Bennett (now playing Dot Cotton’s grandson Charlie in Eastenders), Arthur Darvill (Rory from Doctor Who) and David Hunter. Ronan’s the first Irishman to play the part.
7. In June 2013, the stars of Once became the first West End cast to busk on the London Underground. They played for two hours at Leicester Square tube station.
8. Besides London and Broadway, there’s also a South Korean and Australian version of the show.
9. For anyone who’s ever wanted the chance to appear on a West End stage, Once the Musical is the show for you. That’s all I’ll say…
10. Once transferred to the West End from Dublin on April 9th 2013, and closes on 21st March this year, so see it while you can!
Once at the Phoenix Theatre is closing on 21 March, 2015. Book your Once tickets now to catch this production before it's gone!