On Friday 7 September 2007, the record-breaking hit musical WICKED celebrates the anniversary of its first public performance at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre. WICKED enters its second year decisively established as one the West End’s most popular and successful musicals:
- WICKED has grossed over £28 million at the Box Office in just 52 weeks, grossing an average of £540,000 a week.
- The London production has already been seen by over 800,000 theatregoers.
- WICKED has extended booking, adding six more months of performances. Tickets are now on sale until Saturday 27 September 2008.
- Since opening, WICKED has consistently been one of the two highest grossing shows in the West End and has often been the top grossing show.
- During its first year, WICKED has continuously broken Box Office records. For the week ending 30 December 2006, WICKED achieved the highest recorded weekly gross in West End theatre history (£873,020).
- WICKED was named the ‘Best New Musical’ of 2007 at the Theatregoers’ Choice Awards, winning over 50% of the total public vote in the most competitive category. The musical won a total of 4 awards, more than any other show.
- In addition to the London production, WICKED is also currently running on Broadway, in Chicago, Los Angeles, on US National Tour and in Tokyo. WICKED opens in Stuttgart in November 2007 and Melbourne in July 2008.
- WICKED has now grossed approximately 700 million US dollars worldwide since first opening on Broadway in October 2003 (where it remains the highest grossing show).