BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL
| By London Theatre Direct
Billy Elliot The Musical nominated for an extraordinary nine Laurence Olivier Awards as it breaks Victoria Palace Box Office Records
It was announced today that Stephen Daldry’s production of Billy Elliot
The Musical has been nominated for nine Olivier Awards including Best
New Musical, Best Director for Stephen Daldry and Best Actor in a Musical
for the young boys who created the title role – James Lomas, George Maguire
and Liam Mower who are the youngest actors to be nominated in this category
since the awards began. The Olivier Awards winners will be announced on
Sunday 26 February 2006. Billy Elliot The Musical is produced by Working Title
and Old Vic Productions plc.
Billy Elliot The Musical has been playing to full houses at the Victoria Palace Theatre breaking Box Office records since its opening in May this year.
Billy Elliot The Musical’s nine Olivier nominations are:
Set in the North East, Billy Elliot is a funny, heart-warming and feel-good celebration of one young boy''s dreams. This new staging of Billy Elliot is an adaptation of one of the most adored British films of the last decade which broke box office records across the world and was nominated for 3 Oscar''s and 13 Bafta Awards.
- Best New Musical - books and lyrics by Lee Hall, music by Elton John
- Best Actress in a Musical – Haydn Gwynne
- Best Actor in a Musical – James Lomas, George Maguire, Liam Mower
- Best Performance in A Supporting Role in a Musical – Tim Healy
- Best Director – Stephen Daldry
- Best Choreographer – Peter Darling
- Best Lighting Design – Rick Fisher
- Best Set Design – Ian MacNeil
- Best Sound Design – Paul Arditti
Written by Lee Hall and directed by Stephen Daldry – Billy Elliot has been developed for the stage by the same multi-award winning creative team. The score has been composed by music legend Elton John, the most celebrated UK singer songwriter of the last 30 years, choreography is by Peter Darling with designs by Ian MacNeil, sound by Paul Arditti and lighting by Rick Fisher.
The current cast includes Haydn Gwynne (Mrs Wilkinson), Philip Whitchurch (Dad), Chris Lennon (Tony), Ann Emery (Grandma), Paul Broughton (George), Alex Delamere (Mr Braithwaite), Stephanie Putson (Mum), Isaac James (Older Billy), who join Leon Cooke, Liam Mower and Travis Yates alternating the title role of Billy Elliot.
BILLY ELLIOT BREAKS VICTORIA PALACE BOX OFFICE RECORDS
Award winning Billy Elliot The Musical has broken a series of records at the Victoria Palace Theatre since its opening in May 2005. These include:
- Billy Elliot The Musical has grossed £25million since its opening.
- Billy Elliot The Musical has now outgrossed the UK Gross of the film which was released in 367 locations across the UK.
- As the latest booking period went on sale last week Billy Elliot The Musical took an incredible £½ million in 48 hours at the Box Office.
- Since records began in 1911 at the Victoria Palace Theatre, Billy Elliot The Musical is the highest grossing show both daily and weekly.
- Billy Elliot The Musical is the fastest show to reach £25million at the Victoria Palace Box Office.